Kodi is a media player for the majority of the operating systems. It can play videos, music, and even lets you view your photos. A great thing about this app is that it is open source and that opens up a door for a lot of customization. That aside, we will see how to Install Kodi on Chromecast in this tutorial.
The app is versatile and there are just so many features in Kodi that you will absolutely love it. It has a large user base around the world and across many platforms. Besides, the app is free to download and install, so you don’t have to worry about paying anything.
In the next section, we will teach you how to install and use Kodi on Chromecast. Chromecast enables you to cast a screen of a mobile device or a PC to a TV. Let’s see how you can do that.
About Kodi and Chromecast
Back in 2002, a bunch of developers developed a media player for the XBox console and named it XBox Media center. Then after some time, they decided to name it XBMC, which is effectively the abbreviation of the previous name. They released the app to the public and it was an instant hit.
The XBMC foundation released the app under the name XBMC for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux operating systems. It was given the name Kodi just a couple of years back. Besides, over the years, it has accumulated a huge user base and a lot of popularity along with many awards.
Now, about the Chromecast. It is an entertainment device from Google. It is a casting device which can cast or transfer the screen from a mobile device or a PC onto an HDTV. The Chromecast Dongle receives the data wirelessly from the device and streams the content on the TV.
The main feature of Kodi is to play media, so it is best used on a bigger screen like a TV. You can use Chromecast with a phone, tablet, and even a PC to stream Kodi on Chromecast. We will explain all the methods in the next couple of sections so pay attention.
Kodi on Chromecast using Android
We are going with Android simply because you can’t use Chromecast and the casting feature with an iOS device. There is more than one way to use Kodi on Chromecast. You will get to learn both the methods in this section. One is a bit lengthy and the other one is a tiny bit small. Both are surefire ways so you can choose either of them.
Method 1: Using ES file explorer
Provided this method is long, but it will go easy on your battery life. So if you choose to go with this one, you will be able to stream the app and its content for a longer time. Let’s get started on how to use Kodi on Chromecast.
- There are a few apps and a file that you are going to need before you start.
- Download Kodi is you haven’t done so already. After that, install ES File Explorer and Local Cast.
- Now, download the Player Factory Core file from this link on your device.
- Open ES File Explorer once you’ve installed it. Open Settings and then go to Display Settings.
- Check the box for “Show hidden files”.
- Now, go back to the home screen and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Player Factory Core file.
- Copy the file and then go to Android> Data> org.xbmc.
- Once you are there, open Files> .kodi> userdata. Paste the copied file here.
- Now, open Kodi and open a video of your choice. This will prompt Kodi to open LocalCast automatically.
- After that, you will have to select the device you would like to stream the content to.
- Finally, click Play and the video will be streaming on your TV shortly.
So, now you know how to stream content from Kodi to an HDTV. Chromecast or any other casting dongle or device will do. You just have to decide which method you wanna go with.
Method 2: Using Google Home
This is the easy route to go on but as I said earlier, it will be a hard on your device’s battery life. It will drain the battery faster than the previous method. Let’s see how to use Kodi on Chromecast using the Google Home App.
- Download and install the Google Home App. It is the official app for casting from Google. So it is the perfect match for the Google Chromecast.
- Open the app and tap on the menu icon on the top-left corner to open the menu.
- Tap on the first option in the list which is “Cast screen/audio”.
- Click on the same option again on the next screen and it will search for available devices.
- Select your device from the list and tap on it. It will now mirror your whole screen onto the TV.
- Return to the home screen and open Kodi. Now, whatever you will do on your Android device, the same thing will happen on your TV screen.
So now all you have to do is start playing any video you want on Kodi and at the same time, you will be able to watch the movie or whatever you are watching on the TV Screen. Moving onto the next section, we will see how you can use a PC to stream content to Kodi on Chromecast.
Kodi on Chromecast using PC
Kodi is a very amazing app and it is available for most of the platforms as is evident from the intro of this post. Windows is also a very popular operating system for computers and it is also very versatile. We already saw how to cast Kodi on Chromecast with the help of Android. Now, we are about to see how to do that with a PC.
- There is only one thing other than Kodi and Chromecast that you need for this process; Google Chrome Browser.
- I am pretty sure you must have it but if you don’t, then you can get it from here.
- Once you have installed Chrome, open the menu from the top-right corner by clicking the vertical three dots.
- From the drop-down menu, click “Cast”.
- It will automatically search for available devices and you will see a small window in the middle of the screen near the top.
- You can choose to cast only the present tab or the entire desktop. Choose the latter one.
- Now, select the device and it will cast your desktop screen to the TV.
- After, that Open Kodi and open any video that you want to watch and you are all set.
So this was how you can use your PC to play Kodi on Chromecast and ultimately on the TV. This way, you can enjoy your favorite Movies, Shows, Live Sports events and anything else that you like on a big screen despite not having the app itself for TV.
With this, we have explained in detail on how to use Kodi on Chromecast using different methods. All the methods work fine. So you can choose whichever goes best for you. If you happen to face any issues while using the app, we will be happy to help at Kodi Guides.